Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:19:45 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Longer range gas tank?
Comments: To: Brien K Dews <briendews@CHARTER.NET>

I have given this some thought as well. It seems to me if you got connected with a tank builder or fab shop you could have an aluminum tank welded up that would be very simple for the section right under the sliding door .

There is a large cavity there that has strong frame rails on both sides you could attach the tank to. You can decide how low you want it to go, the westy propane tank height would be a good benchmark.

I would connect and vent it directly into the main tank and install a small faucet electric fuel pump and "pump in" to the extra tank from the main tank. Yes, you might have to make two fill ups to fill both tanks but how often do you need all of the fuel?. I would also pump back into the main tank from the aux. Again slower not as convenient but it eliminates most of the headaches of trying to design a totally separate system. if your main tank got down to almost E you could just flip the switch even while underway and begin to replenish the main tank.

If you are not running the propane tank you could install one on each side.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brien K Dews" <briendews@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 7:13 PM Subject: Longer range gas tank?