Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:43:18 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: RE, Steering feedback---
Comments: To: Terry K <CTONLINE@webtv.net>,
          Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Terry, Joel, too,

Steering feedback - well, it feels like a front tire is out of balance (not tread separation, which is more noticeable at lower speeds). This is noticeable at 60 - 65, and doesn';t get any better at higher speeds. Maybe a bit worse, but not a lot. Feels just like a front tire threw a one ounce weight.

I've felt for an out of round condition, and watched real carefully when it was on the balancer - not out of round that I can see.

I've rotated the tires, and then replaced the front ones; that's six different front tires - no change, so I've kinda ruled out the tires -- kinda. I also replaced the wheels with steel MB 6.5" wheels - no change there either. Tires were balanced on a computer balancer by my brother-in-law, who's a manager at Discount Tire here in Phoenix. After I complained that they were no better, he ran a diagnostic on the balancer and ran my tires again - no difference.

Front end guy tells me it can't be bearings, 'cause they're not loose and they're not making any noise. He says that if the bearings were bad, they most likely would have frozen up by now, since this has been going on for two years. I'm going to repack them next week anyway, just to be sure.

Terry, I agree with your diagnosis, except that I've covered all of the tire possibilities except for changing brands of tires. That doesn't seem real likely, but I have some other tires around here, so II'll trade them out tomorrow - I'll let you know.

Wish me luck,

Karl