Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:25:31 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: steering feedback

This is my stepdad's Deville, which I drive a lot- the vibration would set in at 62, get worse to about 68 thereabouts, sort of even out and remain up to 85, which is about as fast as either of us ever took it. I don't know if the brake pedal vibrated at those speeds, I don't drive 65 with my foot on the brake. If you took it up to about 20 and stomped on the brake, it would shake like hell 'till it stopped, and you could feel it through the pedal.

He took it to his mechanic (so I don't know what was happening with the pads), and he had him check out the entire front end. The suspension, alignment and linkages checked out, so he replaced both rotors and pad sets and generally 'cleaned up', but that's all he did. The shuddering on stops was gone, but the high speed vibration remained, though it seemed to have lessened slightly. My stepdad was driving it around town and had not taken it up to speed afterward so I was the first to do so (on a trip out of town); when I got back I asked him if he had noticed that the vibration was still there and he hadn't.

This went on for about a month 'till he took the car back to the shop; the mechanic pulled the rotors and found that the driver's side rotor was 'fairly warped', as he put it. He replaced it (the only thing he did that time) and the problem went away and hasn't returned.

So that's why I suggested checking the rotors for true. You can make of it what you will.

BTW, somebody said "There isn't enough rotating mass in a rotor to cause a given speed vibration." Seems to me that if the rotor was causing the wheel that was attached to it to vibrate as well, that would be plenty of mass to cause a detectable vibration, but what do I know.

On a semi-related note (as least related to this particular Caddy), we have recently purchased a couple of full tire sets from TireRack.com, one of which was a set of Goodyear Assureds that went on the Caddy. We decided to try TireRack 'cause we live out in the middle of Bugtussle and the locals have a huge markup on tires. Normally I prefer to buy locally, but an average margin of $200.00 is a little rich for me to overcome (and this was on whodat brands). BTW, that's _after_ shipping and installation. I think the website could better constructed and more user-friendly, but you can do what you need to do. I particularly like being able to reference the surveys. I had a couple of conversations with their service reps and found them to be very matter-of-fact and helpful on clarifying some details.

As for the Goodyears, they were ranked #1 in their category, so we tried 'em out. After getting them installed, I found I had the highway to myself, so I took the car gradually from 35 to 70 with my hands slightly off the wheel- even with a wind, the car tracked like it was in a slot. I also went around a few corners at the ragged edge of disaster and the car went like it was on a rail. Pretty good stuff.

I need to replace the tires on my Vgon so I was thinking about going this route again if I can find a suitable tire there- I noted that some folks here have been exploring that recently.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net> To: "'Robert Fisher'" <refisher@MCHSI.COM>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 12:56 AM Subject: RE: steering feedback