Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:20:56 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: [VWVANFULLTIMERS] Dometic Fridge Servicing / Renovation
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@yahoogroups.com, "Vw-Camping@Yahoogroups. Com"
          <vw-camping@yahoogroups.com>,
          vwcc@yahoogroups.com, VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com,
          "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Larry,

First of all ---- are you keeping Roadhaus? I seem to recall she was for sale at one time.

Fridge thoughts:

1) Don't know how you're planning to clean the jet. I did this about 4 years ago. Gave it a good soaking in methyl hydrate and blew it out with compressed air. Has worked well ever since.

2) If your fridge is blowing out as you drive you need to fix the seal between the flexible chimneys and the funky outlet on the side of the van. The key to this is aligning those flex hoses to the plate (on the outside) that they screw into. The screws will NOT pull them into alignment. Use a broomstick/dowel to get the flex chimneys sitting the way they should be. Put the dowel an inch or so into the chimneys and gently bend into position. You'll find post about silicon sealer between the vent and the body. I did this too --- but the real fix is alignment. My fridge has blown out once in 3 years since I did this --- and I forgave it. The same winds damn near blew my off the road and moved my canoe six inches sideways with a tie-down rig that had never failed before. The dowel trick is courtesy David Bierel (sp) of the Vanagon list.

3) I remember Karl Mullendore posting that he had carefully increased the size of the jet slots (I think with a hacksaw) with good results. The next time I take my fridge out I'm going to look seriously at doing this --- I'll upgrade the fan then too, but I hate taking the fridge out so I'll need poor performance or some other such reason before I do.

Cheers, Doug

"Larry Chase" <roadguy@roadhaus.com> 09/26/2004 03:31 PM Please respond to VWVANFULLTIMERS

To: See the complete list of TOs below. cc:

Volks,

Although I'd like to replace my the Dometic RM182B Fridge with one of the cool 2-way fridges like Karl and others have installed, current budget constraints don't allow for it.

So I'd like to service the stock fridge and improve it as much as possible.

The fridge got to a point of significant inefficiency.

- Flame kept blowing out - Inside temps not adequate - Difficult lighting on LP

Current plan;

1) clean everything (fins & burner) 2) burp for 48 hrs (upside down) 3) replace stock fan with computer cpu variety (not clear if a computer fan has more air flow than the stock fan) 4) knock out city water connection and install 2nd computer cpu fan to exhaust hot air to the outside.

I found the following square computer cpu fans .... any recommendations?

80mm (3.14961) / 32.5 CFM / .14amps / 28 DBA 92mm (3.62205 inches) / 48.2 CFM / .25 amps / 35 DBA 120mm (4.72441 Inches) / 54.5 CFM / .26 amps / 27 DBA

Are there other modifications I should consider?

Also was wondering if anyone managed to squeeze a little extra insulation between the "side of the fridge" and cabinet? Larry Chase Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com Web: WWW.RoadHaus.com What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro Today: at an undisclosed location in Arizona

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research, Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/gd26lB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links