Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:26:38 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Painting the Vanagon;

I used somewhere around 4 quarts to paint the exterior with the side door, and front/rear glass removed. My big problem arrived when I ran out of paint trying to apply the fourth coat. The epoxy primer was still slightly visible after coat three of iridescent blue metallic. So the lesson learned on that project was to gauge coverage based on the opacity of the paint...or have the epoxy primer tinted to match the top coat. Unfortunately the subsequent shoot was not nearly as good as the original (it was like glass) and required hours of color sanding. If in doubt, perhaps you could test shoot a piece.

As you are using pearl paint I would strongly suggest shooting the exterior in one go. I re-shot the small metal panel covering the sliding door off the vehicle and I can tell the difference. I was advised by my local paint guru that pearl and flake etc. are oriented/deposited differently depending on quite a few variables...so best to shoot the colour in one go.

A wet sand (1500 to 2000 grit) and polish will take care of peel, runs etc. but of course will do nothing for pearl distribution in your colour coat.

Where are you painting it?