Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:08:28 -0700
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Getting air out of the coolant system
Comments: To: "Bill H." <starfinder88@YAHOO.COM>

Bill,

The valve in the engine compartment is plastic and only needs to be turned by hand (it's on top of the thermostat housing)

The bolt on top of the radiator does not come off, a 13 mm wrench does the trick. You only need to turn it a few turns, the bolt is grooved which allows air to escape. You will get bubbly coolant until the air is out then it flows like a leak. Then tighten the bolt. I would **not** recommend pliers, you round the head and you'll never get it tight enough. (you have to take the grill off to do this)

Jere 90 GL/Carat-a-version 88 GL 87 Wolfy 69 MB 220D

I had to open the coolant lines (88 GL) to put a new gasket on my oil cooler (a nightmare in itself) which required opening some of the coolant lines, and I'm now ready to get the air out of the coolant system. I've read the Bentley procedure and found the two breather valves. My questions are 1) how do you turn the valve in the engine compartment and 2) do you just turn the valve (bolt) on the radiator a turn or two or does it come completely off? The valve in the engine compartment can't be managed with a screwdriver or a socket wrench so do you just grab it with a pair of pliers or is there an easier way? Thank as usual.

Bill H. 88 GL