Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:24:42 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Two Q's about Auto Tranny

Okay, four questions, actually.

The AT in our 84 Vanagon appears to be what Bentley's calls "090 except code letters NH." I used the illustration of the accelerator cable/linkage on page 37.12 to make the identification.

Question 1: is there a better way to identify the transmission?

This transmission has been slipping badly, especially between 2nd and 3rd. Today I drained the ATF, dropped and cleaned the pan and ATF strainer cover, installed a new filter and gaskets, and re-filled the AT with Dexron III ATF. It is shifting MUCH better. The old ATF was pretty brown, and there was some sand-like swarf in the pan.

Moving on, I want to check the throttle linkage to the AT. The adjustment procedure at http://www.vanagonparts.com/at_service.html says that you press on the accelerator pedal to full throttle position. "Throttle lever must contact stop . . . "

Question 2: what stop?

" . . . but kickdown lever on transmission must NOT be in kickdown position."

Question 3: After a bit of study, I have determined that the kickdown lever is the same as the "shift lever on transmission" (Page 37.12). But what exactly IS the kickdown position? How can I tell if the kickdown lever is there or not?

Next, I want to adjust the 2nd brake band. The illustration on page 38.12, Fig 15, shows the brake band adjusting screw.

I just received my handy Harbor Freight 1/4''-drive inch-lb torque wrench. The illustration in the book suggests that the screw is being adjusted with a socket on the end of the wrench (there is a closed wrench behind the socket wrench holding the lockwasher). But on my transmission, the screw looks like it wants an Allen (hex) key to adjust it. I reckon I have found the right adjusting screw, but before I mess anything up,

Question 4: Does the 2nd brake band adjusting screw on this transmission want an allen key to turn it?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR