Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:21:14 -0700
From:         Tom Sinclair <neeemo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon 5 Cylinder Engine Carrier
Comments: To: tdi-conversion@yahoogroups.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          syncrolist@yahoogroups.com

Well I finally got the prototype for the engine carrier made. It looks pretty good and is very strong. Since nobody wanted one for a 2WD we made it specifically for Syncros which simplified the fabrication a bit, but it was still challenging to get the compound angles right. You could, however, use one on a 2WD but you will have to modify the flanges on the frame rails where the carrier mounts.

I posted a few picures of the prototype in place at: http://photos.yahoo.com/neeemo Ignore the C clamp and wood block which are holding the engine in place for the pictures. You'll also notice that the carrier will need to be spaced down for use in Syncros. You'll need to source some square tubing for that. 1.5" will work, but I'm going with 1.75" for extra clearance below the oil pan and to aid the use of the carrier to support the modified factory skidplate-which will be pretty slick after some work and two custom brackets are welded to the carrier.

The engine carrier will come to you in 6-8 weeks and unpainted so you can fabricate and weld the skidplate brackets to it if you like and/or have it powder coated like I'm going to. The price is $525 plus shipping for a mild steel version or $675 for a chrome-moly version which will be stronger--but probably not necessary unless you're a hardcore off-roader AND your bus is really heavy.

They will be checked in a wooden jig I'm making, but are being made one at a time by hand so there will be variations from one to the next. Luckily there is tons of adjustment room in the Audi engine mount brackets, and you can weld the spacers where you need to on the van. You may have to shim here and there to get the engine aligned just right--you didn't expect this to be easy did you?

Notice the left mount--mounts are Audi 100 parts and aren't included--has washers under it, I'm spacing mine down another .25" than necessary as mentioned before. I'm also using a .5" spacer in the bellhousing to clear the dual mass flywheel on my AEL Tdi, so the engine sits further back than a gasser or non dual -mass diesel will.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them and share them with everyone. Pmail me if you're interested and for a shipping quote.

Thanks Tom Sinclair Preston, ID

http://photos.yahoo.com/neeemo