Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:52:23 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Piranha LED taillights

>Many thanks to Andrew for the great lead on the plug & play LED lights! >Or whom ever it was, if I caught this posting late in the game.

I also read a website on fitting LED cluster-"bulbs" as replacements for bulbs in stock lights. They said they don't work well and also that due to voltage irregularities they will last at best 10000 hours, not the 100000 advertised by all sellers (ie that 100000 is an optimum figure, estimated for an LED left sitting at EXACTLY 12V, with no fluctuations in voltage or current. Circuit diagrams were included for making drivers to remove irregularities... as apparently resistors don't do a good enough job: <http://faq.light.tripod.com/signal-leds.htm>

I don't know if this applies to the ready-to-fit integrated light units sold for trucks (all of which are 12V... most run at 12-15V or so); these may well have drivers built-in.

Certainly if you like round or square lights, or elongated ovals, these lights should do a good job... all are DOT-approved (as if that means anything!). Some brands have white units for reverse, some have only red & orange... some have those confusing red-only 3-way lights (red indicator? silly... could be a malfunctioning taillight).

I am thinking of fitting a flasher into my brake circuit, knowing how easily I seem to miss brakelights... in the late 70s/early 80s there was a "Cyberlight" marketed in the US for motorcycles... the harder you braked the faster it flashed... mercury switches? Good idea, anyway. I might set the flash (electronics rather than mechanical switch ie mercury) at several times/sec. This is once I have LED taillights installed! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut