Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:43:44 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: shifter grind after swap
Comments: To: drillock@earthlink.net

Mark,Thanks. I do have the diesel BH slave arm, I did not change it's orientation from where it was previous, I am using the diesel slave bracket (must) and slave arm (where it was). the engine does have a pilot bearing, the clutch alignment tool wouldn't work well w/o one.

could I have done something wrong with the throw-out bearing on the throwout arms? I wasn't soo happy with that job, haven't done that in 15 years since my old baja. but it was there, moved thru motion prior to engine installation.

I did not open the hydraulic lines, there should be no fluid leakage.

tonight I will have a helper to push the clutch pedal while I observe the range of motion.

this wasn't really on my list of 'forseeables' that I was preparing for.. worst case scenario I have to pull the tranny for ??? that would be a show stopper for camping this Friday, but maybe not for Sunday's track event.

>>> mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> 9/29/2004 11:42:36 AM >>> I am assuming that you put a clutch pilot bearing into the crankshaft.

The cars don't use one but the Vanagons must have it.

Another thing to check is the external clutch lever that the slave cylinder pushes against. The diesel lever is different. It looks the same but the angle that it sits at is not. This is the clutch lever with the ball on the end, located by splines, attached with a circlip. The inner splines are in a different spot than the boxer lever.

Finally, if you opened up the clutch hydraulic line, you may still have

air in it. It can be very tough to get it all out.

Mark