Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:47:00 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Great Trip Computer

I have this with the internal lithium battery and serial cable. I don't recommend it for driving. There are no street maps built into the device, which severely limits usability. I bought mine for running on trails and that is the only time I've found it to be useful.

For the vanagon, I bought the Garmin StreetPilot III with all the maps for the US and maximum internal memory storage. I think this is a good GPS unit for the van. The StreetPilot III is more expensive. Perhaps there are used ones available...

You'll burn through a bunch of AAA batteries if you use the Foretrex as a trip meter. The model with a lithium battery is rechargable, but you'll need to rig up something to either power it directly with DC current (not 12VDC), or rig up an inverter. I'm not completely sure that the device will work completely when it is being charged in the cradle. I don't have it in front of me right now.

I haven't looked at GPS units recently, but the only thing that I miss having in the StreetPilot is voice command. The unit has voice prompting. However, I want to tell it to go to "Yosemite Village" without having to use the buttons to select the spot. I heard that some Hondas may have this capability in their GPS systems. Anyone know anything about this?

Regards, Craig

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:08:18 -0400, Justin M.Mayrand <jmayrand@usadatanet.net> wrote: > Hey All, > > I discovered what may be the perfect trip computer: > > http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex201/ > > Wrist mount GPS receiver. Very configurable, and has a great antenna > built into it. the 101 model is similar but does not include the serial > cable and uses AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable. ...JMM > > > Justin M. Mayrand > 1980 Westy "SuperVan" >