Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:26:18 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: A little more to the story of how we got our Vanagon...
Comments: To: slagskot@HOTMAIL.COM

In a message dated 9/29/04 10:52:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, slagskot@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> > > I just got a free carfax report from a friend... Ran the VIN on my > > van and it has the first record of the VIN in 2001. I wonder if that > > means it wasn't in the US prior to that date? > > >

im 99.99% positive your van was sold in germany, during the "foriegn purchase" european delivery program.. vw doesnt do that anymore..but you used to be able to fly over to europe, buy a US SPEC (MPH speedo, Cat, DOT headlights, etc) vw over there, drive it around europe while vacationing over there, and then VW paid to have it shipped back over as part of the purchase program....some buyers just took an extended vacation...:<) my ex-'86 westy was bought in germany and driven around europe for a few yrs before being shipped to the US.. it too, had a bunch of cool european travel club stickers on it.. it even had a RF european turn signal lens on it..when in europe the orig owners bumped into something and broke the US DOT spec turn signal lens..so they got a Euro spec one as a replacement.. (the US DOT spec have a flat face and reflectors, the Euro have a "nich" cut out of them and no reflectors) it also had the floor tracks for the middle seat too. one strange thing about it - it was ordered with NO radio.. it didnt even have any speakers in the front doorpanels!!! and yes it was a GL..

chris