Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:27:40 +0000
From:         Zach White <zwhite@DARKSTAR.FROP.ORG>
Subject:      Replacing Motor Mounts in an '84, help with engine timing

Hi Everyone,

First, if anyone is near Portland, OR and can help someone who's never set their timing before? I'm pretty sure I'm running rich as I can smell gas in the exhaust. I tried checking the timing but my engine is a curious beast ('84 rebuilt engine, the guy that rebuilt it used '85 parts, including the 3 track crankshaft pulley) and I'm not at all sure I'm interpreting the data correctly. I have all the necessary tools (including timing light) I just want someone with the experience that can help me. :) I'm willing to head to anywhere along the I-5 corridor from Eugene to Seattle. (Any excuse for a trip!)

Secondly, my next thing to do for the van is to replace my motor mounts. The only problem I see is getting to the bolts on the top of the mounting bar.

I looked at it for 30 minutes today, trying to figure out how I could do this. I can't just drop the mounting bar and hope I have enough clearance to get to them with a wrench because my bottle jack is too tall (I only have ~ 2" of clearance with the jack all the way down). I'm also wary that it'd take too much movement and I may inadvertently break something. I looked at taking off the crankshaft pulley, but I don't have the appropriate wrench and when I get my vice grips on it, all I do is spin the pulley. I'm nervous about putting vice grips on the pulley to hold it because I don't want to do anything to create a dimple and the associated belt wear that would go along with it.

I took that same pulley off when I needed to replace my water pump, but it took 3 of us to do it (two holding the pulley and me turning the vice grips).

So, what's everyone else done in this situation? Am I stuck taking the pulley off? If so, how? Is there a special tool I can order/buy for this?

Thanks.

-Zach