Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:20:03 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: shifter grind after swap (conclusion)
Comments: To: Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com

OK, follow up to my original posts of "It's Aliiiive" and "Shifter Grind"

In diagnosing the symptoms, possible causes, and to this point a working conclusion..

I ran the fuzzy math thru my head. changed the Air Cooled to diesel BH and pilot shaft *- SHouldn't effect anything installed a NEW clutch disc * life & clutch should get better Didn't open up the hydraulic system, * shouldn't hurt anything there is NO adjustment in the slave cylinder. --mounts to diesel bracket, all right where it should be there is nearly no adjustment in the pedal-- nearly.. means this we can change.

but wait this is where we find our first evidence something is out of place. behind the Grill, in the hump by the drivers headlight there has been a access hole/panel made (many years old) open the cover and theres the backside of the pedal assembly (behind the steeering column)

looking in and examining the clutch cylinder clevis and pushrod, it's been at one point adjusted about 3 threads (1/4" +/- )..

the previous engine combo I had from the PO the aircooled engine+tranny the tranny did ever slightly shift tough @ sitting(while running).

but this became a Gear GRind (crunch) with all the newly installed conversion parts. so what changed..

I also have found that if I don't step ALL THE WAY to the floor on the clutch it SHIFTS FINE.

hypothesis: what my fuzzy math has concluded is that at one time some PO or mechanic adjusted the clutch cylinder pushrod on the pedal assembly. resulting by my conclusion in nearly the opposite effect as desired. and with the NEW parts added to the mix exaggerated the reverse effect and made it worse. I do recall (vaguely) that at one time I've adjusted something the way that I'd logically think was the right way and the exact opposite desired effect occured, (I think it also may have been a clutch linkage/assembly)..

soo thanks for reading thru my ramblings.. either I have to reach in thru the very tight, tiny access and correct the clutch cylinder adjustment--- or I'll place a 1" block under the clutch pedal.

THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE READ, AND HELPED WITH THIS ISSUE.

dan stevens. 1980 QTD camper