Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:19:06 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Update- rocky results, etc.
Comments: To: jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU

Hi Joy, First off, sorry to hear about the persistent problem. I think I know what it feels like, though when I went through this I wasn't thousand of miles from home. Symptom-wise I had pretty much what you are describing: van starts, runs for a while, but after warming up starts losing power, bucking, black smoke, horrible over rich smell. Couldn't figure it out myself, and brought it to well-meaning mechanics. Over almost a 4 week period, many fuel injection parts were replaced: O2 sensor, AFM, Temp sender, Hall sender in the distributor, and eventually even the ECU. All to no avail, and boy was it expensive. In my case, it turned out to be the wire that actually goes from the O2 sensor to the ECU, carrying the signal that tells the computer what's going on. That wire (green, on the left hand side of the engine bay) is a coaxial cable, like the ones used to go between stereo components: Shielded/grounded on the outside to protect from interference, with the signal carried on the inside. If there is any short, connectivity, inductance, whatever, between the two- as there was in mine- the ECU pretty much loses it's mind and doesn't know how to proceed. In the end I replaced over a thousand dollars of parts for a problem that could've been fixed in an hour by someone who knew where to look. I don't really blame the mechanics on this- they weren't VW people, and the Bentley wiring diagrams only hint about the nature of that cable. I've definitely made any shop interactions I've had since a full time collaboration, though. About the Fuel Pump/ Pressure issue: From what I understand, the only job the pump has is delivering a constant flow of adequate volume; so if the pressure is too high, the pump is doing it's job fine. The fuel pressure regulator may be bad, though- any excess pressure should be routed back to the fuel tank on the return line. The regulator is a $60 part, but it is testable while in the engine, I think. It is in the center of the engine bay, just forward of the distributor, with 3 fuel lines and one vacuum hose attached.

Good luck Joy,

-Matt Sutton Brooklyn NY