Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:18:03 -0400
From:         Don Sturgill <dssturgill@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      400mm Lift to Flush

Well, Like Cat Stevens, I “just can’t keep it in”….. just to humor myself, tomorrow I am going to find a way to hike my old new bus up the requisite 400mm. Then, I am going to take a picture for the upcoming calendar I was reading about yesterday.

I am searching and reading the archives. Some say don’t worry about it, others say it is crucial. I really like the vacuum flush idea. The December 1994 thread “Coolant Fill Crisis” put the fear in me. Engine overheated from being jacked up so high and couldn’t get it filled.

The problem with my bus is that it has no antifreeze in it whatsoever right now. I just bought it and our local VW mechanic (Rick) said he was afraid there was a leaking head gasket and there was no use to put antifreeze in it until we found out. I’m not keen on it, but Rick is the man and he didn’t have time to flush and fill anyway. Still doesn’t, but he can on Thursday. I just want a really good flush and a chance to learn a little about my new friend.

Probably, I will follow the thread advice saying fill with the rear-end raised and burp with the front raised. First, I need to get the shroud off the left side engine (the right shroud is already missing). While I am under there, I can see why there is such an oily buildup on the bottom of the engine and investigate the layout a bit.

After getting coolant in, I need to ask Bentley and Haynes (and probably Rick again by this time) why it won’t idle when cold without dying. Fuel injection, so no idle screw to adjust.

Then, I need to figure out how to replace the muffler, which has a small hole it and is probably the source of the exhaust leak I hear. I sprayed some de-rust lubricant on the bolts and prayed a bit for a miracle later.

Oh, yeah, I really need to figure out where the water is going from the expansion jug. I can’t see any water dripping from the engine, but the expansion chamber must be filled daily. I just don’t like continued driving without any antifreeze.

As to the jacking situation:

Assuming I use the lowest front cross-brace to jack under…. It is about 10.5 inches off the ground. I must take the vehicle up another 16 inches. I checked the local sources and found that the best I could do on a reasonably priced floor jack is a total lift of 15 inches. It is now sitting by my bed. So, I can block the space between the floor jack’s starting level (6 inches) with a 4X4 and will still get a lift of only about 14 inches…. Still shy of the magic (400mm or about 15.75 inches) by an inch and ¾ and the bus is going to be doing a wheelie…… sure as heck will be over my jack-stands considerably. I ain’t crawling under there. The way I figure it, if anyone has ever stood their bus up almost 16 inches (think of the front tires being almost a foot and a half off the ground), then they either used a shop hoist, a $400 floor jack or risked life and bus to do so. By the way, I live in Southwest Florida, and there are precious few inclines around.

By the way, I do very much appreciate the private responses I have received and I look forward to getting to know you all and maybe even meeting some of you some day. I found that my email name listed was set to “Coram Deo”…. That is a phrase that I love and I use it to identify my computer, but my name is Donald or Don or dss or just d, if you wish.

All the best to you and yours,

Don Sturgill

Sarasota, FL

84 Vanagon Weekender, just adopted