Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:31:14 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel hoses
Comments: To: jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>

jbange wrote:

>> Does anyone sell a complete fuel hose replacement set? Or lacking that, >> is there a list of types, diameters and lengths that are needed to do >> the job? > > > It's pretty much just hose n' clamps; 5mm hose for the breather > system, and > 7mm hose for the rest. The 5mm breather system isn't pressurized, so it > probably doesn't need replacement. I have so far been unwilling to > drop the > fuel tank to inspect mine, so I'm not sure how long they are or how well > they age. 4 meters of 7mm will do the entire vehicle, 3 meters if you're > just doing the engine compartment. Not sure exactly how many hose clamps > the whole system takes, but I think a dozen will do the engine > compartment > lines, and 6-8 more should do the rest. I have a 3 meter coil of nice > cloth-sheathed fuel line from VolksCafe > (http://volkscafe.com/main.jsp?pa=p&p=1812649455&pct=680049311&ct=586555328) > > under my rear seat that I've been meaning to use to replace the lines > on my > '90, but apparently my plan is to wait until it catches fire before I get > off my butt and do it. > > John Bange > '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger" > Hi John,

Thanks to you and all who have responded via p-mail to my post.

I am getting some conflicting information on hose sizes, lengths, etc., and want to be certain that I order the right stuff. The vehicle is an 84 1.9l WBX.

Your recommendation of "4 meters of 7mm will do the entire vehicle, 3 meters if you're just doing the engine compartment." Is not the same as Joel Walker's article at

http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=136 , in which he sez "8mm (can't recall the inches-size). pretty sure it's 8mm. this is the most hose you'll need. get about 20 feet. - 10mm. you'll only need about two feet of this one."

Vanagain.com sells a wonderful variety of hoses in all sorts of diameters. A month or so ago I e-mail Ken Wilford at vanagain.com asking for a "shopping list" of what I should buy, his site is a bit clunky to me, and I guess he didn't have a chance to respond. He does have a kit, "Fuel1," (do a search, the search engine is case-sensitive) which has 10-feet of 7mm line only, and some nice clamps.

So, that's two votes for 7mm (4 meters or ten feet, depending on who said what) And one vote for 8mm (maybe) at 20 feet.

It may be that the different model/year/engines have different fuel line requirements?

PS - waiting until the bus catches fire before replacing the hoses? I don't see anything wrong with that. Some guys throw out everything in the refrigerator as soon as the expiration date has passed, others wait until the milk has turned into cottage cheese before doing so. It's a matter of personal style, I reckon!

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR