Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:40:48 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pumps
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM>

I've just finished replacing the tank in my 91. The only symptom was that it would shudder every couple of days, just like the pump or ignition was turned off for about 1 second. Just enough to make me know there was something wrong and it wasn't going to get better on its own! Opening up the big line to the pump and dumping it onto a white napkin resulted in a big orange spot. RUST. The inlet screen was plugged. Taking the tank off, I could see quite a bit of rust on theh cones shaped inlet screen. Must be a hole in it too. I put in another tank from a less rusty parts car I have. I treated the inside of this one with Metal Prep, rinsed it out 2 times. I think the water gets in by humidity in the air and then condenses. I believe that my daily driver 87 is making fuel pump noise, now that I think about it. I think all cars in humid climates get this rust problem. Perhaps others do not suffer from the problem since they have filters on the INTAKE side and replacing the filter buys more time. I'm adding an intake filter just as soon as I can find one with 7/16" inlet and outlet. Al Brase Vanagons