Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:23:59 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: dual fuel conversion (LPG, propane, etc)
Comments: To: Joel VanderKwaak <joelvanderkwaak@GMAIL.COM>

In the Netherlands it is very common to have dual fuel but most use propane gas in Europe is $4 plus so propane cheaper over time and pays for the conversion. I would guess they have a propane kit just for the vanagons ready to go last I heard kits cost about 1k. The engine is started on gas and transitions to propane when the exhaust is hot enough to convert propane to a gas state You do loose some power on both LNG and propane. I build lots of engines for the ice resurfacer Zambonis they have air and water cooled engines most have been set up to run on propane others are running LNG. The LNG is compressed into a liquid and that can take hours to fill a tank. Some local towns here in Massachusetts have LNG police cars and light trucks. They have had to find outdoor parking for them as they can not be parked inside just in case they spring a leak. One shop in Arlington Ma. is replacing heads on a regular basis on the LNG trucks so they tell me the seats are not hard enough same problem I see in the Zambonis. The Olympics in Salt lake City had LNG Zambonis between the LNG and the mile high altitude they where down almost 50% on power compared to a gas engine at sea level. The local gas company paid for the Zambonis what a surprise

hope your back feels better Bob Donalds Boston Engine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel VanderKwaak" <joelvanderkwaak@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 9:57 PM Subject: dual fuel conversion (LPG, propane, etc)