Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 2004 06:40:20 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: update - Rocky's results - was Westy Karma,
              was stuck in Custer
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Joy: The black smoke and choking off at idle definitely do not point to LACK of fuel delivery. The measurement of 40 psi is too high, too.There ares only a couple of things that could make it that high: A bad fuel pressure regulator (likely), a lack of vacuum signal to keep the regulator at the cruise setting (easy enough to determine without any tools), or a blocked or kinked return line to the tank (not likely, but also easy to check for kinks just by following the route of the line back to the tank.) The fuel pressure regulators at some point will leak internally and route fuel back thru the vacuuum line into the intake manifold making the mixture richer yet. I think this is what is happening. It may be possible to see that the inside of the vacuum line is wet. In an emergency one could just pinch this line off and make things somewhat better. These fuel pressure regulators do fail. Getting a new one is not a bad idea. BTW, if you are ever concerned about the condition of the o2 sensor, it is easy to just disconnect the single wire- the engine will run pretty good without it. I've gotten about 15-16 MPG with it disconnected. This is absolutlely necessary if you get an exhaust leak ahead of the oxygen sensor. Disconnecting it will put it into a limp home mode much more like the only mode available on an earlier air cooled injection. It still works, just not as accurate as the system in closed loop. I think that in the 200-300,000 miles that I've driven 2.1, Digifant equipped Vanagons, I've had only 2 bad oxygen sensors, one bad fuel pressure regulator, and one Vanagon syndrome (repaired with the VW harness). Plus the current problem with a rusty gas tank, which pretty much I blame on a previous life in Pennsylvania. Not bad for 14 years of ownership. Never had a failure of a major electrical part of the FI system, Or of a fuel pump and that holds true clear back till 1982 when I got my first Bosch equipped type 2 VW, a 1978. NEVER a fuel pump failure in probably 400,000 miles. I guess maybe Rocky's right about taking a spare- not likely necessary.! I should add, that even though this is frustrating, sometimes the grass is not so green on the other side of the fence once you get there! Other makes of cars/ vans/ SUV's have their share of problems, too and not always inexpensive to fix. And no sense of fraternity/ support from the Vanagon list either! Al Brase