Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:14:39 -0500
From:         Chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      Short trip report and newbie observations

First, thanks to the folks who answered some questions for me before my trip, it was much appreciated. I made the trip from Nashville to Atlanta and back without incident. The van ran great and I had no troubles or scares. Just as suggested, the van will cruise all day around 4000 rpm without any problem. I got about 22 mpg on the way there cruising between 65 and 70 and much less on the way back(I didn't calculate the mileage on the way back). For some reason the return trip always takes more gas to go the same distance no matter what vehicle you're in. I don't know what causes that but I've heard others complain of the same thing. Vanagon sightings: A white pre 86 on Chastain Rd overpass over i-575 in Kennesaw. And a Yellow and Red custom also pre 86 advertising for "Beetle's BBQ" in Woodstock, GA. I didn't get a chance to stop but I'll try anyone's BBQ let alone a place with a Vanagon out front. That was it, just 2.

The van is surprisingly (to me) comfortable on these longer trips. But if I can change/add anything first thing would be a cruise control. I can't stand not being able to stretch out my leg and foot! Or I'm just spoiled...who cares I want cruise! Second thing I'd want to change is a taller highway gear. It'd be nice if I could cruise at 75 mph. I could do that now but I don't feel comfortable straining the engine like that for long. Just a few hundred rpms lower would satisfy me.

I enjoyed it so much I'm looking for some nice Kentucky camping spots for this weekend!

Chris 85 GL