Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:13:06 -0700
From:         Steve <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Window Handles - VW vs Taurus

John Wrote: >I seem to remember that someone said that Taurus window handles fit the >Vanagon and make really good replacements. > >Anyone got the scoop on this? Part number?? Model Year?? etc. ------------------------------

John, I wrote this about Ford window cranks about a year ago:

--------------- When I upgraded my front speakers, I used Ford handles because they give over 3/4" of clearance to the door panel, which is enough to clear some non-stock speaker grills...

I poked my head into about 50 fords looking for handles. It appeared that most 70's, 80's, 90's cars with NON power windows have handles that will work. There seems to ba at least 3 basic styles of handle. There are some chromed metal ones with plastic knobs which seem to be the most durable. There are plastic ones that have a visible screw hole (like the metal ones do), and there are also plastic ones that have the screw hole hidden and you have to pry the plastic outer skin back (like the VW ones) to access the screw.

It appears that all 3 types will work, so which ones you get is a matter of personal taste.... The chromed metal ones are strongest if the chrome doesn't offend you.

Note that a small bit of modification is required to make the Ford handles work. The splined part of the handle is too long and if you tighten the screw snugly the back of the splined part hits on the stationary tube that surrounds and holds the splined shaft, and it rubs and grinds away at stuff when you roll the window up and down. You need to cut about 1/4" off the splined socket on the crank so that the end of the shaft bottoms out inside the crank instead of the back end of the crank rubbing when the screw is fully tightened.

When you shop for cranks, wiggle the knob part of the crank to make sure the rivet that holds it on isn't all worn out yet. I found some cranks that the knob was pretty sloppy, and some that we're still nice and snug. Rear window cranks probably get used less than fronts...

Some cranks had a #2 phillips screw, some had a torx screw and a few had allen screws, so take a selection of tools with you.

Happy crank hunting...

Steve EJ22 -> '86 Westy "Escape Pod"