Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:10:11 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      fridge fan report
Comments: cc: jones@COLORADO.EDU

Richard, On a related question, does the fan run when driving and using the fridge in the dc mode? regards gary Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:31:10 -0600 From: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU> Subject: fridge fan report

Here are observations on the refrigerator fan from my recent experiences:

I had replaced the original fan which was getting very noisy with a Valterra fan (Fridgemate equivalent) last fall. This summer, for various reasons, I have had the fridge out four times(!) On the third time, I replaced that fan with a pair of Radio Shack muffin fans. They are speced at 33 cfm each. I mounted them side-by-side on a piece of angle alu and mounted that must below the bottom fins. I thought that it was a pretty slick configuration on my part. On reinstallation, I noticed two big differences:

(1) the fans came on much sooner than expected. (2) They ran continuously until mid-evening.

Last weekend I pulled the fridge (#4) and put the Valterra fan back in.

Here are my observations and analysis:

The Valterra pushed much more (MUCH more) air against my face than the pair of muffins fans, when hooked to 12V. Both fans seem to produce a "cone of air" movement. I think that putting two muffins fans side-by-side causes some interference and makes the cone larger-- moving less air over the center of the fins and thus running longer before the sensor cools and shuts it off, as well as moving less air totally.

Why did the muffin fans come on so much sooner? I think they actually blocked the natural convection pretty effectively. If you look at them, they have a frame and then the blades are such that they cover the whole 360 degrees. So visually they are "opaque"--which means that is the similar to the convection air.

Anyway, after putting in the Valterra (Fridgemate) replacement back in, the fridge is back to "normal"--the fan comes on only when much warmer and runs and cycles as it used to. Plus, the internal fridge temp stays down and does not rise to 50 degrees as with the muffin fans.

My conclusion: A pair of 33 cfm Radio Shack muffin fans is BAD(!) The Valterra moves much more air by my informal test and does not block the natural convection that is what cools the fins 90% of the time.

I suspect that a single muffin fan might be better than two, in the sense of aiming at the sensor better, but 33 cfm (if that is what the Radio Shack fans really do) is not enough. I'd stick with the Valterra rather than test this. Mounting the pair of muffin fans somewhat apart might be better then side-by-side, too, but again, I won't be testing that!

This is not to say anything about the GoWesty fan which is rated much higher cfms. I have no experience with the GoWesty fan at all. But my advice, worth what you have just paid for it, is to stick with the Valterra replacement fan. Anyone with the GoWesty fan should report on it.

BTW--as I recall, I switched the orientation of the Valterra bracket 180 degrees and drilled new mounting holes to make it work, but it was a simple, obvious mod.

Here is a final observation: I played with a tiny Radio Shack fan that some have mounted inside the fridge to move air over the cooling fins. Well, the first thing that that was obvious was that the "drip tray"--the white plastic tray just under the fins--blocked the air flow from the fan. I removed it (and the fan) and the fridge cooled very quickly. How stupid could I be to have not noticed before that that tray perfectly blocked the convection inside the fridge? How many of you have that tray? What use is it? Maybe only to put in when you are defrosting to catch all that melted frost water? ;-)

Maybe nobody else has that tray. When I bought my Westy, the fridge was missing several parts, so I had my RV guy look up the microfiche for that model and then we ordered everything I didn't have. So I got Barbie trays, another door shelf bracket--and the white drip tray. Anyway, if you have the drip tray, try the fridge without it!

YMMV.... Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado