Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:50:35 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rough Running 1.9L
Comments: To: Paul Connelly <paul@THEMOUNTAINSUSA.COM>

At 13:50 10/6/2004, Paul Connelly wrote: >Help! We have a stranded couple with a 1.9L '85 westy who stopped by my >shop after seeing my '86 outside. I know little enough about the 2.1, but >have never looked at a 1.9. The symptoms are: Sounds like its running on 3 >cylinders. Exhaust is sooty and does smell of gas. Plugs look like it has >been running a bit rich. Cap, rotor and leads seem okay. The first >"switch" on the throttle (from idle) doesn't seem to work, but the full >throttle is okay. The symptoms they felt when driving (Up Vail Pass from >about 7,000' to 11,000') under load seemed to pull fine. From 11,000' down to

Idle switch fail open shouldn't be a big deal; fail closed would cause severe driveability problems but you don't have that. Squirt some CRC Electronic contact cleaner where the actuating pin enters the switch and operate the switch repeatedly may well cure it, assuming it isn't just adjustment. Adjustment is set adjusting screw so that switch *barely* closes as you ease throttle closed, then add one full turn.

While problem is happening, measure O2 sensor voltage and also measure voltage across T II sender (two-terminal sender at thermostat housing left-rear of engine. T-II should show under a tenth of a volt on warm engine. Use a needle through insulation of the wire on the non-ground side, to the ground bolt at left head. If high, sender is bad or bad contact or bad ground. If close to zero, turn off ignition, unplug the sender, ignition on again and look for five volts on that line. If still zero, broken wire to ECU or ECU problem.

Unhook O2 sender and leave unhooked -- it's either causing the problem or confusing the diagnosis. Check the lead going to the ECU after unhooking the sender, should be a constant half-volt. If it's shorted to ground ECU will drive everything full rich as soon as the T-II sender signals warmup. ECU can get confused after any intermittent signals, it starts fresh if you power off for a half second.

Put a voltmeter or scope on AFM leads, ignition on and watch the voltage as you move the vane (*very* slowly if using a meter) -- should have constant rise/fall with no dropouts. If it's noisy with dropouts, will confuse ECU. "Capacitor cure" can be helpful here, 22uF 16-v or better tantalum cap connected from AFM wiper to ground terminal. I doubt you'd get this super-rich condition from that, though.

Check injectors for stuck open...I suspect a stethoscope would be very helpful but the final check of course is pull them and look. Check fuel pressure regulator vacuum connection for signs of raw fuel leak into manifold.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"