Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:19:10 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Cheap, sturdy magnetic base for 12v fans

Older vanagons, at least the diesels, have a painted steel dash with no padding. This makes them useful for using heavy-duty magnets to hold things down. I've always wanted a magnet for a 12v fan, and I recently got one. Harbor freight has welding grounds on sale for half price, under four dollars.

Throw away the spring and ground screw from the center. Glue some headliner material to the bottom (2 reasons: it won't scratch the paint, and without some distance between the magnet and dash, you almost can't pull it off with your hands) Most fans I've seen have a provision to screw the clip-on base into a shoe for permanent mounting. Screw the shoe to the magnet and attach the fan to the shoe.

Now you can have a fan anywhere in the van you can find a metal surface.

If you want a photo, just ask.

Next I want to use two of these magnets to mount a rain awning over the sink-fridge window. Will post that when it happens.

Jim