Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:36:55 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Level

Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:00:57 -0700 From: Peter Linsley <peter.linsley@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Coolant Level

Hello,

Within a month my coolant level has dropped from being right at the max mark to being half way between max and min with normal usage during that time. It's concerning me somewhat, would this be enough for anyone to recommend I start looking for leaks or is it possible the engine would burn up this much water?

Peter,

Don't panic just yet....it is possible that an air bubble that has been in the system for quite some time has just burped itself out recently...

Fill it up again perhaps and just monitor what happens over the next week or month. If it does the same thing and continues to fall, well there may be deeper issues to invesitgate however it also may now stabilize and remain at that level.

I tend to find my waterboxer's coolant level will remain at the full mark after I change the coolant often for quite some time then all of a sudden be at the halfway mark. There is usually stays as one final bit of air that I obviously missed in the bleeding process finally finds it's own way out.

Just to be sure however I would be still passing a cursory eye over the pavement under the engine on a daily basis just to make sure that no coolant spots appear.

BTW, has your coolant been changed recently ?

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover Series 3 Soft top (ex-Aust.Army)