Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:26:50 -0600
From:         Parker Beeson <parker@COREADDICTS.COM>
Subject:      1st successful road trip report (longish)!

Just returned from a 3 week, 4,000 mile paragliding road trip with my brand "new" 1989 Westfalia and wanted to share a few thoughts.

The very first thing I did before departing was print out a list from the internet of all qualified Westy mechanics in the country as I figured I'd, at some point, maybe need one. I'm happy to report though that I not only didn't need one, but was stunned that the entire trip went off without a hitch. Not one hiccup in the van the whole time! I'm now sold on Westys and am convinced that they are the coolest thing this side of the Antarctic (not to mention I slept like a damn rock they are so comfortable!!).

I initially decided to name the van "Duck Dodgers" (late of Daffy Duck cartoon fame) as I was only 20 miles into the road trip when a gaggle of ducks decided to cross the highway right in front of me as I was cruising along at a blistering 58mph according to my GPS (though the speedo was happily lying to me saying 63.. ha!). I honestly don't know what angel was watching over me and those ducks, but I managed to not kill a single one of them as my heart leapt into my throat and my little 14" Hankook tires did their best to swerve left and right at my command. What a start to a trip!!!

As I'm a paraglider pilot and my other vehicle, a 1985 brown Subaru GL wagon, is named the "Turd Bird" I finally decided on naming my "new" van "Skybiscuit". Kind of a cross between the little engine that could, Seabiscuit and my favorite playground... the sky. By the end of the trip, after long hours, I would find myself yelling out loud in the Rockies, "Go biscuit, GO!" And she sure did!

I started in northwest Montana, worked my way west to the Pacific and then down the coast paragliding along the way. I made it as far as Santa Barbara before deciding that I was exhausted and running out of travel money so I bee-lined back to Montana by way of Las Vegas (naturally) and Salt Lake City. I tended to stay on Interstates this first trip, my logic being that there are at least two lanes so people could pass me without wanting to kill me and that cell phone service is generally great. Next time I'll brave more back roads for sure.

Here are a few things I learned about my brand spanking "new" Westy that I'm sure you all are very familiar with, but may find amusing non-the-less:

1. When the road sign says, "Caution Curves Ahead - 35mph!" you damn well better pay attention to that! :-)

2. When a semi-truck passes you going 80mph you should always pucker up and be prepared to move that steering wheel like mad to stay in your lane!!! This may not apply to you 15" and 16" tire people. 16" setup is already on my wish list for sure! Though... 40psi and those 14"ers did just fine all in all.

3. When it's <40 degrees out at night you can close all windows except the skylight, leave the fridge on LP and usually have enough residual heat from the fridge venting to keep the Westy somewhat warm without smothering yourself from lack of oxygen. Neat!

4. Despite all the apparent "coolness" of owning a Westy hot girls would rather bundle up in a tent with each other than climb in the steel breadbox with you. Bummer. ;-)

5. Love the tailwind, dread the headwind. 'Nuff said.

6. Make ample use of kinetic energy and inertia. When approaching a steep incline you're much more likely to successfully climb that incline if you're nearly redlining that smooth as silk waterboxer. :-)

7. When you pass another Westy on the road you damn well better wave to them or risk offending someone! :-)

Anyway, I had a blast and was utterly amazed at the performance of this van (I averaged 20-22mpg on this trip!). I'm beginning to wonder if the POs had worked on the engine or something as every time I filled up I would check the oil/coolant etc. and there wasn't a single leak or anything the whole way. She was loving the 20W50 high mileage I put in her right before I left though that's for sure. Is there any easy way to tell if the engine has been overhauled/upgraded? Maybe I have a sweet 2.4L GoWesty and don't even know it!!! All the same I'm sold on these engines though I'd love a 5th gear so it doesn't cruise at such high RPMs. Still... sooooo smooth.

I was also amazed that even on the gnarliest passes in the Cascade and Rockies I could bury the pedal in 4th and climb up them never going below 50-55mph. Stunning to say the least and much better than my "Turd Bird" Subby even!

The only glitch came the last day of my trip as the water tank pump failed for some reason. I managed over 25 gallons of filtered water before this happened. Will track it down... probably too much strain from installing my .5 micron inline water filter.

And last, but not least, 5 miles from home a deer popped out onto the highway. Just like the ducks it was a near miss and a reminder that even when things seems perfect you must stay alert for Murphy and his laws. :-)

Some pictures can be seen at:

http://www.coreaddicts.com/

and

http://www.coreaddicts.com/day15/ (specifically pages 5/6 for a few Westy shots)

Parker and "Skybiscuit"

PS - If you ever get a chance to visit GoWesty in Los Osos, CA... DO IT!!! Made me drool buckets from the moment I pulled in. Amazingly I managed to walk away only spending $60 for a new radio antenna, some oil drain plug gaskets and a skylight bug screen. Phew! Got off easy that time! Glad I didn't have 10 grand to burn!