Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:56:18 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: help diagnosing possible coolant system/ engine damage
Comments: To: Kurt Stoppkotte <kstoppkotte@HOTMAIL.COM>

OK, let's assume that they did run it ~30 minutes/month for 2 years. That's 12 hours of operation total. Now, this is without any load, probably only idling. If it was actually driven, averaging 50 mph, that would equate to 600 miles of driving. If it lost enough coolant or oil during that use to cause a problem, there was a problem before it went to storage. Even if the oil went down a quart, that would not cause any grief.

At this point, I would change the fluids anyway, including gear oil/ATF, power Steering, brake fluid, coolant etc. Also get some fresh fuel in there. If stored outside, consider fuel tank in near future. Then to be sure, go for a compression/leakdown test and maybe test the oil pressure. If no weird noises, go drive and enjoy.

Dennis