Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:16:29 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pan Heater (immersion vs. stickon)

For another view on this subject:

" Our oil pan heaters are thin, flexible heating pads that are permanently> bonded to the oil pan. The heater has the special adhesive already on it, by simply peeling of the protective backing and pressing the heater firmly in place on a clean, flat surface, the heater is ready to be used."

We use this type of heater on vehicles that have NO OTHER TYPE AVAILABLE and they do work. When we install them we use high temperature silicone to adhere them and they stay put. There is one on my Audi Quattro now, I installed it myself several years ago, it works well, and is still attached after years of scraping through snow under the car.

" They do work well when stuck to a battery though."

True, and a good choice for vehicles in extreme cold climates.

" An Oil Pan Heater is far superior to a block heater and more efficient."

I disagree. They work, but not as well as a block heater, and we use them when nothing else is available, or in conjunction with block heaters for that little bit extra that you need in extreme cold climates. In extreme climates we install a block heater, oil pan heater, and a battery blanket.

(0degF) could do no more than heat the oil a little. The only advantage to the pad is you could leave it on all night, which you can't really do with an immersion heater. But maybe they expect you to leave it on all the time.

My pan heater works well even at -30F, and yes you can leave it on all night if you really want/need to. You can also leave immersion heaters on all night if you are so inclined, but it is waste of electricity. It is better to turn it on about two hours before you need to go.

" A block heater only "warms" a part of the engine. But the important part, the liquid. And fast, at 400 watts. "

Warming the coolant keeps it from freezing and causing damage to the engine, of course it also warms the rest of the engine thus allowing it to start. However, for the purpose of cold starts, warm oil is more important then warm coolant. This is why, as John Rdgers and others can attest, many old time aircraft operators used to drain their oil at night and take it inside with them to keep it warm. In the morning they would refill the crankcase and start the engine, the oil was warm allowing the rotating assembly to turn and the engine to start.

"You can hear the heater popping and crackling in there so you know it's working. The warm liquid rises up to the combustion chamber where it does the most good. Plus, your heater works a lot sooner."

Warm oil is more important then a warm combustion chamber, but it is correct that the heater will work faster.

An Oil Pan Heater "heats" the complete engine starting at the bottom.But this process takes hours, and only under ideal conditions. For example, if it's windy you lose the heat as fast as it's generated because it's trying to move outside in.

" The hot oil heats the crankshaft, which in turn heats the connecting rods, pistons and cylinder heads. Remember "heat" rises."

More likely this is because the hot oil becomes less viscous and flows freely allowing the rotating parts of the engine to turn.

"When you need to start you engine in 20 minutes you don't need a warm crankshaft, you need a warm combustion chamber."

I disagree, most cold start problems occur when the engine will not turn over due to cold , viscous,oil. If your ignition system is in good condition the temperature of the combustion chamber is not that critical. > > > We recommend the model 9.0 for your VW Vanagon. > OK, I see 125 watts in a 3 inch diameter stickon. I still say the > immersionheater is vastly superior but the stickon heater would be > good for certain > applications, such as big trucks with high ground clearance. >

" The price of the model 9.0 is $59.00.00 Cdn. Dlrs Shipping charges are included in price."

Sounds a bit high even after converting it to US funds. This part, or one similar should easily be found at your FLAPS, and they come in a variety of sizes and wattages.

Mark in AK - Where YOUR tax dollars are paying for OUR citizens to have block heaters installed on our vehicles.