Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:34:45 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: WBX 2.1L Engine Case - Reman
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John you know I can't resist to tell a tale when asked like old Billy bones

The Canadian rebuilt blocks come in all flavors some check out great and some are not worth reusing. For instance I have one Canadian rebuilt block in the shop right now with a great tale of woe. This is a turn in from a customer that told me he had this block reassembled twice. It seems the shop gave up when it did not have any oil pressure after the engine warmed up both times. I can tell you that left me a little nervous about tiring my luck building an engine on that block. But having been around the block a time or two (pun intended) I tried a set of oversized cam bearing and installed the camshaft only as I closed the block to see if the camshaft would still turn when bolted together and shiver me timbers yes it did mystery solved. The main bearing bore had been align bored and the cam bore had been align bored as well. The other shop had perhaps never even heard of oversize outside diameter cam bearings. I had another block remaned from Canada that had the main bearing bores align bored and when I used my alignment tools to true the main bore for measurement it showed that the align bore had been done with the two half's shifted .005th This means the cam bore would be off .005th at the parting line when main bearings are in place. The other notable things I've seen with the Factory rebuilds are 1.9 and 2.1 rods mixed on the same crank and 20 under cranks and 95 MM pistons It boils down to this you need to have the block inspected and measure with great care by some one that knows what to look for and can provide you with the proper parts and tech support Hey come to think of it I could do that ! so pack it extra nice and send it north with your crank, rods and what ever you want me to look at and go over I would as a mater of coarse alsoreplace the rods with a set Boston Bob rods with new bolts have the cam reground, use new lifters, new AMC heads with replacement valves and retainers, have the a new set of pistons and cylinders clearanced to prevent scuffing

hope that helps

Going faster miles an hour with the radio on I remain Bob Doanlds Boston Engine all rights reserved

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 5:18 AM Subject: WBX 2.1L Engine Case - Reman