Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:16:08 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Safe 2.1/1.9  Rpm: survey/query
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

I drive an 88 GL w/4-speed tranny. It rides on Michelin XCA 205/75/R14's.

My first Vanagon was an 85 GL. with a 1.9L WBX. I got 205,000 miles on it without ever having to do anything major. Tune-ups - that was it. I was gentle with it. Never pushed that speed.

Then I bought this current van with 86,000 miles on it. I thought I got a good deal. BUT, at 89,000 miles the engine failed due to a hole burning through a piston.

I bought a newly rebuilt engine complete, and when the wrecked engine was removed, I discovered a yellow tag on the engine saying Re manufactured by VW of Canada. It was immediately obvious that I was about to put the third engine in this vehicle in less than 100,000 miles. I could not help but wonder what had gone on before. For me the new engine gave me a good solid vehicle, but the failure of two engines before the 100,000 mile mark was a stern warning. On top of that, my mechanic, an old timer with Volkswagen boxer engines, cautioned me not to attempt to drive as fast as the general highway traffic in our area - which has a lot of expressways and interstates running through it. People routinely drive 70-90 mph here and if you are not up to speed you get irate looks and the occassional erect middle digit wave. My man said the engine simply will not hold up and will be relatively short lived. I believe him.

My 88 GL spent it's life in the south. That much I have learned. I suspect that the vehicle simple was run hard to the point of death for those first two engines. And I suspect they were not serviced adequately either.

Consider that a Vanagon is basically a truck, and given the era in which they were produced - at least the US models - they were designed to get optimum performance at 55 mph. Again, they are a truck......not intended for a high speed driver. That given, have you ever noted the engine RPM at 55-60 mph??? One hell of a lot lower than 4000 rpm.

I drive my van at 3800 rpm on the open road. On a level bit of road that pegs the speedo needle at 63 mph. That is a bit more than 55, but I do it. I am determined not to burn that engine up as was done before. I drive the truck lane, and at 63 I'm slower than most tractor-trailer rigs, so when I can I move over so they don't have to change lanes. But I don't push my engine.

Robert Lilley of this list carefully developed and built a WBX engine that was capable of higher rpm and horsepower and even with the stock transmission, higher road speeds, without hurting the engine. But for the stock engine and transmission, keep it UNDER 4000 rpm if you want long life from the engine.

If you simply must go a little faster, you can do it fairly simply by having your tranny modified by Daryl at AA Transmissions. He is a member of this Vanagon list and is listed on Vanagon.com. Give him a call and talk to him about it. He's a good guy and will give your the straight scoop.

Keep in mind, as always, steady cruising causes less wear that a lot of city stop-and-go driving.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver