Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:59:52 -0600
From:         Parker Beeson <parker@COREADDICTS.COM>
Subject:      WBX rpms..

John Rodgers said: "I drive my van at 3800 rpm on the open road. On a level bit of road that pegs the speedo needle at 63 mph. That is a bit more than 55, but I do it."

Just finished a 4,000 mile road trip all through the west and also cruised at 3,800rpm because that is where the van felt best for gas mileage, handling (14s) etc. Near as I can tell I was getting 20mpg or a bit more. All four gas reserve tank(s) lines I learned were bad and leaked gas if I topped off the tank so I only put in 10 gallons at a time and could always get better than 200 miles between fill-ups.

My speedo also says 63 mph at this RPM, but my GPS said 58 mph actual speed. I found myself using cruise control almost the entire time as if I didn't I would look down and be at 4,200-4,400 because the WBX is so smooth that you don't even notice or hear it. Ha! I got exactly one "bird" finger raised at me and that was skirting LA on the I5 near Six Flags/Santa Clarita.

Anyway, whole point is that if you have a GPS you should compare as your speedo may be off like mine is. Happy about these posts as I was also wondering about safe cruising RPMS. Would love a 5th gear for those long flat open roads.

Parker '89 GL Westy