Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:49:30 -0500
From:         Tom Altman <tom@ALTMANVILLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: retro-fitting retractable rear seatbelts, '86 Westy
Comments: cc: Reinhard Vehring <rvehring@YAHOO.COM>

I'd like to see pics...

I know you can pick-up the belt for the Vanagon from gowesty.com - I picked up some used one from Eric Zeno (excellent seller - by the way, thanks again Eric) and he sent me everything (all 3 belts from the back) I needed including the trim pieces for slightly more than just 1 belt.

FYI, Tom

Hi Alan, I assume you are talking about the rear bench in a Westy? I put lap / shoulder belts in there. Got some new GM belts from ebay. The lap part is easy, just use the factory install points under the bench and just make sure that whatever you install does not interfere with the bench in any position (learned that the hard way). The shoulder part is a little tricky. On the right side there is space behind the panel between the C and D columns, under the window. There is a seatbelt mounting point on the d column that you can use to redirect the belt forward. I mounted the seatbelt mechanism on the rear wheelwell with a steel backing plate to distribute the load. This looks nice and clean after the modified panel is back on. Left side I put the seat belt mechanism into the cabinet, again on the wheelwell. The upper mounting point is high up inside the cabinet. This is tricky, because you really need to take care to distribute the load. Then I fed the belt through a slot in the cabinet wall. This unfortunatley doesn't look that nice anymore but I thought the safety of my kids is more worth than looks. While at it I, also put headrests on the bench, but since the wood is pretty thin, they will probably only to a limited job on impact. Hope that never happens :-) If you're interested I can sent you some pics of the job. But use at your own risk, of course, Take care Reinhard 83 Westy, "Moose"