Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:42:14 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Safe 2.1/1.9  Rpm: survey/query
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@SHAW.CA>

I my early days of engine building I spent many hours building and testing 40 HP VW engines for a Formula Vee SCCA race car The point of ring resonance hits home But I called it ring flutter. I built one engine and used what I called a mint low mileage set or pistons and cylinders. This engine on the dyno typically made 55 HP at 6000 RPM but with this used set of mint pistons and cylinders the power got to 40 HP AT 4000 RPM and leveled off right there at 40 HP all the way to 6000 RPM. when I swapped out the piston and cylinders to a new set the power came back to 55 HP a 6000 RPM I have never used a set of used piston because of that experience The piston size of the 40 HP VW engine is 77mm that's works out to 3.030 and the stroke was 64 MM The piston top ring land is as much responacable for oil control as it is for compression I think ring and piston life are determined by oil quality ( age ) combustion chamber temps and the amount of unburned fuel that washes down the cylinder walls on cold start up and in extreme rich conditions

going faster miles an hour I remain Bob Donalds all rights reserved

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Keller" <kelphoto@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:03 PM Subject: Re: Safe 2.1/1.9 Rpm: survey/query