Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:52:45 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      OE Spark Plug Wire Sets

> I have had lots of problems with the Bosch series that the > most of the FLAPS sell. mostly due to bad crimps, after I had > the wire pull out of the connectors on a couple of sets I started > inspecting crimps at the store.

> I don't know why, but the spark plug connectors shorting to > ground or opening seems to be a common problem on > replacement wire sets. I guess 1 out of 4 come back to me. > I like to go with the dealer sets at replacement time.

The Bosch wire sets are now Mexican made, and has been noted, they are NOT the same ones sold by North American Volkswagen dealer network. However, I do have good news to report in this regard. I have started sourcing ignition wire sets directly from the OEM suppliers to Volkswagen. These come from the very same factories that supply Volkswagen - minus the VW logo and the inflated price.

There are two different sets for watercooled Vanagons - one for vans thru 7/84 and one for 7/84 thru 91. At $39 and $49, they're even cheaper than the Mexican Bosch wires, not to mention dealer wires. (Note: Some other vendors list the earlier version as fitting all years. However it does not actually have the proper OE type connectors for '85 and later Vanagons. Since I carry both versions, I list them separately based on the correct year application.)

Thru 7/84 I actually have two choices; same set but from two different OEM suppliers to Volkswagen in Europe: < http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=09180OE and http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=09180

From '7/84 on, I source them from the OEM supplier to Volkswagen of America: <http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=09272OE>

For aircooled Vanagon owners, I now have a German made set from PVL Gruppe GmbH, which, while actually German aftermarket, is very well made, has good quality OE type connectors, and at $19.95 is priced below the Mexican Bosch. <http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=09171OE>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT