Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:38:59 -0700
From:         Peter Linsley <peter.linsley@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Converting Coleman Catalytic Heater to LP tank?
Comments: To: Karl Hartmut Filc <kfilc@sympatico.ca>

Karl,

There have been concerns with that unit that it gives off poisonous gasses despite being advertised as requiring little ventilation. There was/is a law suit regarding two fellows who passed away in a *tent* using a coleman catalytic heater. I'm not convinced that the vanagon has enough ventilation without cranking the windows right down so I'm returning my ProCat today. BTW, it didn't light anyway but I don't want an exchange.

Cheers.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:22:18 -0400, Karl Hartmut Filc <kfilc@sympatico.ca> wrote: > Hi there, > > I have the Coleman cat-heater pat# 5053A751 which uses the green 16oz gas > cylinders. This unit has a battery powered motor and runs on 2 D batteries > for 18hrs. Fits snugly between the front seats and runs permanent for 8hrs > on one cylinder. 3000 BTU is plenty for a Vanagon without the pop off roof. > > I like this unit because you can move it around and this is the reason why I > don't connect it to the lp-tank. The gas cylinder cost ca. $3,50 here in > Canada which is a bit pricy. But I got lately a catalog from Harbor Freight > (www.harborfreight.com) better known in the USA than in Canada. They have a > unit #45989-QUAN which enables you to fill the 16oz cylinder from a BBQ tank > and save some money. Works for me and I don't have to use my propane from > the bus tank. > > Hartmut > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jim Felder > Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2004 :16:08 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Converting Coleman Catalytic Heater to LP tank? > > Those heaters that say they are for tents need ventilation too. The > instructions are very explicit about that when yu get the box home and > open it up. > > If you don't want to worry about that at all, buy and install a vented > heater. there are plenty of good installations mentioned in the > archive, I'm sure some of these folks will write you. > > I chose my unvented Olympian Wave 3 because of its compact design, wall > mounting and low oxygen use. It stilluses a certain amount of oxygen, > the instructions say a 4 inch square hole so you can figure out what > this is with a side window or front window cracked, I usually do about > half an inch which is probably overkill but it doesn't get all that > cold around here. > > Make sure you have a shutoff valve you can get to so you can take the > heater offline if any leaks develop. Test every joint thoroughly with > soapy water. LP is nothing to mess around with. > > Jim > > On Oct 10, 2004, at 2:37 PM, Parker Beeson wrote: > > > Starting to get really cold again in Montana and I was thinking about > > winter heating. Seems the archives are full of intricate conversions of > > externally vented propane solutions with 5,000+BTU, but for me that > > would be overkill and too expensive at this point I think. > > > > Was wondering if anyone has bought one of those little Coleman > > Catalytic Heaters that are designed for in tent use (which I assume > > means they are fairly safe with even minimal ventilation) and hooked it > > up to the existing LP tank? I already have a t-joint inline on the > > stove pipe feed from a previous propane heater that was in the van when > > I bought it. I removed that heater though as it was oooold and deadly > > according to the PO... so kinda useless really. I sleep in the van with > > a warm 0 degree sleeping bag so am thinking a little 1,000-3,000BTU > > unit would be fine to just keep the ambient temperature above freezing > > so my water lines won't freeze up so much. I'd be fine with internal > > temps of 35-40 degrees. With the top down, skylight closed and one side > > window cracked I think that would be enough maybe? My main curiosity is > > would copper piping be required for the line or is the LP tank pressure > > low enough to just use a reinforced flexible tubing? > > > > If no one has done this I'd love to know why and if yes I'd love your > > thoughts. If I do it I'll post a "how-to" link with photos etc. > > > > http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp? > > CategoryID=3000&SourcePage=category_main.asp > > > > Thanks, > > Parker > > '89 Westy > > >