Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:15:43 EDT
From:         Joe Adams <Pisdmxer@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Steve Schwenk in the NYTimes?

Thumbing thru the NYT on Sunday, I came upon a passage where the paper's public editor lambasted someone named Steve Schwenk in San Francisco for wishing that a reporter's kid would get his head blown off. Isn't this the dude who puts on the Syncro de Mayo event? How civil you Californians are. Joe

From Sunday's NYTimes Public Editor Article:

...But before I turn over the podium, I do want you to know just how debased the level of discourse has become. When a reporter receives an e-mail message that says, "I hope your kid gets his head blown off in a Republican war," a limit has been passed.

That's what a coward named Steve Schwenk, from San Francisco, wrote to national political correspondent Adam Nagourney several days ago because Nagourney wrote something Schwenk considered (if such a person is capable of consideration) pro-Bush. Some women reporters regularly receive sexual insults and threats. As nasty as critics on the right can get (plenty nasty), the left seems to be winning the vileness derby this year. Maybe the bloggers who encourage their readers to send this sort of thing to The Times might want to ask them instead to say it in public. I don't think they'd dare.

Here's the whole article....

October 10, 2004 THE PUBLIC EDITOR

How Would Jackson Pollock Cover This Campaign? By DANIEL OKRENT

SEPTEMBER 26, re "Kerry as the Boss: Always More Questions": Faith C. McCready thinks "the Kerry campaign ought to be paying The Times a consultant/advertising fee" for the article. Scott Libbey of Chevy Chase, Md., calls it "another negative article on Kerry," and concludes: "I don't know how you guys can look at yourselves in the mirror anymore. I really don't."

October 5, regarding a few stories: From Michael Malone of Darien, Conn., "I know that many of the Times reporters and editors are breathlessly trying to get Kerry elected." And from John Owens of San Francisco, "I often won't read your paper because of the relentless pounding on Kerry."

Al Markel of San Francisco asks why The Times hasn't reviewed the anti-Kerry "Unfit for Command" while Samuel Leff of Manhattan wonders why Justin Frank's critical psychoanalytic study, "Bush on the Couch," has been ignored by the Book Review editors. Francis Moynihan of Avon, Conn., congratulates The Times's Web site for "finally, a headline critical of Kerry" that uses the word "pander"; John Owens objects, saying that "a comparable headline about Bush would read ' ... according to the poll Americans find Bush to be a liar and an idiot.' " I'm tempted to refer all these correspondents, and the many hundreds of others they represent, to my colleague Mike Needs, ombudsman of The Akron Beacon Journal. "On Monday and Tuesday," Mike wrote in an e-mail last week, "my calls were all from conservatives saying the paper leaned left."

"On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday," he continued, "my calls were all from liberals saying the paper leaned right. But I did have one caller who said we were getting the balance just right. I discounted that one."

A definition of irony: what an ombudsman or public editor must appreciate to survive this campaign.

I've been reading The Times's campaign coverage like any other interested (and, by now, exhausted) citizen for months, but with special care, a pair of scissors, two marking pens and three other papers to use for comparison since Labor Day. Along the way, my own research has been richly amplified by reader mail, the buzzing of the blogs and the occasional complaint registered by party officials. Two readers generously provided me exhaustive analyses of the photographs of each candidate published in The Times (and came to opposite conclusions).

I will stipulate here that I'll be voting for John Kerry next month and will further admit that I have bent over backward to listen to pro-Bush complaints, in a conscious effort to counterbalance my own prejudices. I don't buy the argument a couple of Times editors have made, that because charges of bias come from both liberals and conservatives, the paper must therefore be doing things right. This makes as much sense as saying that a man with one foot on a block of ice and the other on a bed of hot coals must feel just fine.

In fact, I can find many things to criticize in The Times's election coverage. I'm as interested in the inside baseball of campaigns as the next politics nerd, but the paper's obsessive attention to backroom maneuvers and spin-room speculation obscures, rather than enhances, my understanding of the candidates. Much seems directed not at readers but at the campaign staffs and other journalists. The chronic overreliance on anonymous comments from self-serving partisans in news stories is equally maddening. (I prefer the pieces tagged "News Analysis" or "Political Memo," where at least we can hear the sound of the writer's own voice, and take into account the writer's apparent views.) And why the paper would ask a reporter to provide "real-time analysis" online during the debates is beyond me. The very phrase is an oxymoron; analysis requires reflection.

But there are plenty of press critics in print and on the Web, so I'll cede the general criticism to them. Here's the question for a public editor: Is The Times systematically biased toward either candidate?

No.

So farewell, legions of the left and armies of the right - all of you who have been faithful supporters when I've endorsed your various positions in past columns, but who will believe I have either lost my mind or sacrificed my credibility. I'm grateful for your close attention and your stimulating company, and I admire your passionate commitment.

But passion is a distorting lens that makes it hard to perceive the shape of things. Partisans will see the depredations committed against their man, but won't notice similar articles or headlines or photographs that may damage the other guy. Readers outraged by the Sept. 26 piece on Kerry's decision-making style ask when The Times will do a similar piece on Bush apparently because they didn't notice the one that ran Aug. 29 ("Bush Takes On Direct Role in Shaping Election Tactics").

A Bush-hater will see a front-page picture of the confident president greeting enthusiastic crowds and shout "Bias!" much more quickly than he will remember the nearly identical photo of Kerry that ran the day before. Republicans who object to the play given a recent story about scientists campaigning against the president are unaware of the Democrats' cries of bias after The Times failed in June to report on an anti-Bush statement signed by 27 retired diplomats.

If there's a commissariat at The Times ordering up coverage to help or hurt a specific candidate, it's doing a lousy job; close reading shows bruises administered to each (and free passes handed out) in a pattern adapted from Jackson Pollock. Many people want to know why the other guy's position is in the first paragraph of a story, and their side doesn't weigh in until the sixth; they don't notice when it's the other way around. Sherrie Sutton of Manhattan, who describes herself as "the only possible Bush vote on the Upper West Side," asked why Times headlines consistently use "attack" when Republicans criticize Democrats, but not when Democrats criticize Republicans. Intrigued, my associate, Arthur Bovino, determined that in the past year, headlined Republicans attacked Democrats 12 times and Democrats attacked Republicans 22 times. Ms. Sutton replied: "Statistics don't lie, and you've got 'em. Interesting, that in the face of facts, I could still feel unsatisfied that campaign coverage by the NYTimes is balanced."

Interesting, and honest, and for most of us, inevitable as well. Conservatives thought Cheney won the vice-presidential debate; liberals thought Edwards did. I can look at pictures of my children and see that they are flawless; you will see them differently (even though they are, of course, flawless). Write a book, get a lousy review - it's happened to me several times - and you challenge the reviewer's judgment, not your own. We see, and we are more vulnerable to, those things that matter most to us.

Unquestionably, individual articles, headlines or photographs do cast one or another candidate in a colored light, either rosy or dark. Headlines are especially toxic because of their reductive nature. Eric Kessin of Scarsdale, N.Y., wrote to say that the Friday, Sept. 2, headline "Jobless Figures Could Emphasize Bush's Big Weakness" might as easily have read "Jobless Figures Could Emphasize Bush's Claim of Economic Growth." He was right and, in fact, the Saturday story was headlined "Job Figures Help President Promote Economic Record"

That was accurate, but it, too, was not without its own coloration. Nothing is, especially when removed from the context of the long slog of the campaign and The Times's extended coverage. If The Times fails to give prominent space to a candidate's speech because it's a repeat of yesterday's, the paper is helping the opposition; if it does cover it, it's promoting the interests of the repetitive candidate. Show me an interesting photograph, and I'll show you an opinion. (I can't wait to hear what readers think of the Kerry portrait today on the cover The New York Times Magazine, much less the article itself.) (Check that: Yes, I can.)

Those readers who long for the days of absolutely untinted, nothing-but-the-facts newspapering ought to have an Associated Press ticker installed on the breakfast table. Newspapers today and especially this newspaper are asking their reporters and editors to go deep into a story, and when and where you go deep is itself a matter of judgment. And every judgment, it appears, offends someone.

It is axiomatic that the facts or characterizations a journalist chooses to include can tilt a reader's impression. So can the choice of articles, the prominence they're given, the immense weight of the entire, cumulative chronicle of a too-long campaign.

But it is equally axiomatic that the reader who has already tilted toward a particular candidate or position will instinctively view the world and The Times - from his or her own personal angle.

This piece turned out to be more of a rant than I intended, but given the vicious nature of some of the attacks levied against certain reporters, I wasn't inclined to be temperate. There are many critics of The Times's election coverage who are measured and reasonable, and their views - very different from my own - will be represented in this space next week. I also don't wish to discourage readers who in good faith find errors, misrepresentations or unfair characterizations. They may occur randomly, but their frequency is disappointing, and I'll continue to forward meritorious complaints to the appropriate editors and reporters. Many will find expression in the corrections column, or in this one.

But before I turn over the podium, I do want you to know just how debased the level of discourse has become. When a reporter receives an e-mail message that says, "I hope your kid gets his head blown off in a Republican war," a limit has been passed.

That's what a coward named Steve Schwenk, from San Francisco, wrote to national political correspondent Adam Nagourney several days ago because Nagourney wrote something Schwenk considered (if such a person is capable of consideration) pro-Bush. Some women reporters regularly receive sexual insults and threats. As nasty as critics on the right can get (plenty nasty), the left seems to be winning the vileness derby this year. Maybe the bloggers who encourage their readers to send this sort of thing to The Times might want to ask them instead to say it in public. I don't think they'd dare.

The public editor serves as the readers' representative. His opinions and conclusions are his own. His column appears at least twice monthly in this section.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections | RSS | Help | Back to Top