Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:51:10 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Faucet modification
Comments: To: Melvin Mudgett-Price <mprice@ACMEX.COM>

Melvin, I thought of doing this too because the sprayers are less to purchase than the sure flow faucet. 35 bucks.

But decided to get the sureflow and wire up a foot switch too for hand washing.

How do you wash your hands with the sprayer?

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melvin Mudgett-Price" <mprice@ACMEX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 9:29 AM Subject: Faucet modification

Here are 2 pictures of my $15 fix to my leaking faucet. The new faucet is a kitchen sink spray hose from Lowe's ($12). It connects to the existing pipe with a $1 brass connector. I then added a lighted rocker switch ($2) to turn the pump on and off. The wiring was very easy as the wires to the original faucet pull off at spade connectors under the sink. The faucet came with a screw collar that covers the hole in the sink perfectly and I reused the original faucet gasket.

http://www.whadup.com/images/VanFaucet1.jpg

http://www.whadup.com/images/VanFaucet2.jpg

The 2 advantages to this setup for me are:

1. I can rinse dishes a lot easier now by pulling the hose out to where I want it.

2. The hose can be pulled through the window and used outside as a shower or to rinse off my dog after he rolls in another putrefied Lake Erie fish.

This setup of course doesn't allow me to use city water but that's not an issue for me. If I have city water then I can fill the water tank anyway. Also, I used city water a couple of years back and unbeknownst to me, there was a leak behind the outside connector and I was filling the panel up with water. It wasn't enough to see it running out anywhere but rather a fine spray that was wetting an already rusty panel.

Another modification I made that is not necessary for the above to work was replacing the original worn out water pump with a Sureflow model. It turns itself off when there's a back pressure so I can leave the pump switched on and the it only runs when the faucet is turned on.

Melvin

83.5 Westy