Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:22:45 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stand or Bench for engine?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>

The bench will work but I can tell you that the engine stand makes putting the heads back on a very different experience When you can tilt the engine you can do things like prepare the outer gasket surface on the block for the head without straining your neck. I use the dealer style stands and could not do this for a living without them. The universal stand tends to be lower while the bench mount stand is a little thin and weak Tilting the engine is when you discover the lifters are able to fall out on there own and you learn just how much oil and coolant is really still in the engine. The 1.9 engine needs to have the endplay checked while its out so you can determine the health of the lower end more than .005ths play and you will know that the rear main bearing is loose in the case and you should consider a rebuild with the obligatory align bore Boston Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 11:46 AM Subject: Stand or Bench for engine?