Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:33:54 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Converting Coleman Catalytic Heater to LP tank? (fwd)

If the statements below are true than why have so many people died while using an unvented catalytic heater in a tent or vehicle? I can't imagine that the tent the 2 fellows died in was extremely airtight, nor was the bus with its top popped at the bus show a few years back when the child sleeping in the poptop woke up to dead parents downstairs.

The instructions that come with the heaters specifically say "do not use while sleeping, use only with a window open while awake", by the way the packaging of these products makes no mention of these specifics, on the packaging they say "safe for indoor use", you've got to buy the product and read the instructions to find out its not really safe for indoor use unless a window is open and not safe to use while sleeping under any circumstances. I think the coleman,etc should be sued on that point.

There are safe and much warmer vented alternatives but they start at about $400, not a bad deal in my opinion.

Search the archives for a 5 Apr, 2004, post titled: "Carbon Monoxide Test Colman Cat heater", by Chris Christensen <populuxe@QWICS.COM>

Chris works for a public utility/gas company, specializes in natural gas systems, and has access to professional-grade carbon monoxide measuring devices. In p-mail correspondence with him, I was left with the definite impression that when used with adequate ventilation, the Coleman catalytic heaters are indeed safe for prolonged use, and we have done so when camping in our own Westy. We open the windows according to the instructions and, just for backup, sleep with a home-grade CO detector/alarm nearby.

Chris made NO safety guarantees to me, and I make none to anyone else; each must determine one's own degree of safety compromise when leaving the house each day. Camp smart.

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/