Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:23:46 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coatings for exhaust systems

I used Black Satin ceramic coating from www.techlinecoatings.com on my conversion exhaust. It is expensive, but shop pricing for a quart is about $85. Prep is sand blast, clean with solvent, apply one thin coat with automotive spray gun, air dry, then exhaust heat cures it. Different manufacturers make assorted claims on the heat retention properties of a ceramic coated exhaust...some as high as 30% reduction in radiated heat. Tuners tout HP gains made by increasing exhaust gas temperature, which results in higher flow due to increased molecular excitation. My brother worked at Bristol Aerospace and informed me that ceramic coatings are commonly used in high heat applications. I didn't make any measurements before or after of radiated heat, but I can tell you that so far the coating has held up perfectly to hard use. The coating also serves to protect the exhaust from corrosion. After spending so much time welding up the exhaust, it seemed appropriate to protect it and also reduce heat radiated into the engine bay. Pics at http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers