Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:00:10 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: $5 Fuel Filter! Really!
Comments: To: jimt <wetwesty@tactical-bus.info>

OK, I'm going to assume I'm in good shape then... I've got an '85 with the pre-pump filter, I've got a receipt showing a gas tank replacement in 98 (before I bought it), and I've got a spare filter in the chest under the back seat... Must be why my pump has stayed quiet so far. :-)

At 01:46 PM 10/8/2004 -0600, jimt wrote: >On 10/8/04 1:38 PM, "Tim Demarest" <tim.demarest@pobox.com> wrote: > > > > > I only have an '85 to look at (square plastic filter, upstream from pump, > > inlet & outlet different sizes). > > > > So, the later ones only have a filter *after* the fuel pump? Could this be > > why I hear so much about fuel pump failures? > > > > Just curious... > > > > Tim > > > > > > At 01:05 PM 10/8/2004 -0600, jimt wrote: > >> On 10/8/04 11:38 AM, "Pascal Giasson" <pascal.giasson@GNB.CA> wrote: > >> > >>> While were on the subject of these fuel filters, is there any > advantage or > >>> dissadvantage to intalling one of these metal filters on an '84 that only > >>> has the plastic square type located before the fuel pump? > >>> > >>> Pascal > >>> '84 Westy > >>> > >>> > >> Not really. If you check the ETKA and dealer books you find that the > later > >> ones shipped with two filters but the first filter was replaced with a > piece > >> of hose on its first inspection. The later tank also had a different > sized > >> outlet hole so that could be done. > >> > >To me it is. There is just too much stuff in a 20 year old tank that can >start raising havoc with the very fine tolerances of the fuel pumps. The >strange part is that I have seen many more fuel pump failures in the later >vanagaon than in the earlier. This may be because I have seen more of the >later though. I have seen more supposed early vanagon fuel pump failures >cured when I changed the fuel filter. With my tank still probably having >some contamination in it I carry two filters and listen for the sound of a >straining fuel pump. But it has been over 6 months so I think I am back on >a fairly clean tank again. >•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• >jimt >Planned insanity is best. >Remember that sanity is optional. >http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) >http://www.westydriver.com