Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:44:45 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Timing question: Digifant I system
Comments: To: Roland Finston <rfinston@PACBELL.NET>

The big problem you are having is the same one that many Vanagon owners have with this procedure. You are actually using the wrong procedure. The one you are trying to use actually requires the use of a VW tool that is probably no longer in existence. The timing procedure that you want to use is super simple and works every time.

First static time the motor using Top Dead Center on cylinder number one and the alignment mark on the distributor body. The car should start and run decently at this setting. Now warm up the car until the radiator fan comes on one time. Now install your timing light. You can get your power from the alternator or battery and ground to the engine or battery (in car). Put the timing lead on spark plug number 1 wire. Let the car idle at whatever reading the Bentley specifies. Should be around 900 rpms. Shoot the timing light at the timing marks and turn the distributor until they line up per the manual. In the Vanagon I like leave the engine a little advanced (maybe 2-3 degrees) as it seems the waterboxer engines idle smoother and have just a little more power here. Lock the distributor. Rev up the motor and let it come back to idle and recheck your timing marks with the light. If everything checks out then you are done.

DO NOT unplug or unhook anything (including the Temp II sensor plug)! This will mess up your timing readings. You only do that if you are setting the timing using the VW special tool. If you are just using a light, like everyone I know does, then you do it the way I describe above and everything will be great.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242