Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:52:55 -0600
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: 101 MPH Vanagon!
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM>

On 10/14/04 11:14 AM, "Kurt Grotz" <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM> wrote:

> I would have to agree with Don on this one, and will not display my opinion > of Vanagons driving 80-90-100 when VANAGONS are made for 60-65-70 tops. I > will say this, unless I am wrong -it is an incompetent display of gas > guzzling to be driving that fast. It is this kind of un-conservationist > thinking that will force us to abandon our cherished vehicles for cleaner > and/or more efficient ones. This will be either by economics or government > regulations. Now if you are getting 30 mpg at 101, well then I stand > corrected. > > As for me - I frequently drive as low as 60 - heaven forbid. If I really > thought it that important to go much faster, I would not own a Vanagon. > > Can anyone tell me if there are kits to convert Vanagons to hybrid or > electric? > > KG > > -- > --------------------------------------------- > Donald Baxter > 316 Ridgeview Avenue > University Heights, Iowa 52246 > http://www.mindspring.com/~onanov > >

Cant find it now but a while back I ran into a site where they had converted a van to electric. They came to the same conclusion that many others have. The vans need to be lightened. The battery technology still isnt there. They had a massive parellel/series setup with 20 batteries hooked up for a 52 volt motor(s?) with a rather expensive controller setup. Cant remember if they had one motor on each rear wheel or one motor. They used metal halide technology batteries.

The site was in holland and the van in the pictures was similar to a vanagon but wasn¹t a vanagon.

Look up zinc-air battery technology on the web. It is currently the best technology available (watts per pound) but a newer technology is being worked on.

http://www.electroauto.com/

This is a link I look at every once in a while. They have the voltsrabbit and a porsche.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com