Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Oct 2004 01:25:56 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fw: '86 Westy Oil light flickers briefly...other basic ?'s
Comments: To: "Larry Occhipinti, DVM" <guardmans@PEAK.ORG>

Congrats on your new ride. May you have many trouble free miles (an oxymoron or sorts ??? Vanagons and "trouble free"?? But I jokes!!!) and years of fun.

Oil - 20W50 Dino oil or 15W50 synthetic. I use Mobil One Synthetic in my 88 GL . I swear by it, but others disagree as to whether there is an advantage worth measuring.

Flickering light -- hmmmm. Could be pressure switch, could be worn out engine, could be wrong oil type ( but that has been addressed) could be oil filter related.

Oil filter. Anecdotal evidence is that the only way to go on the 2.1 L and 1.9L WBX engines is either a Mahle or Mann oil filter. There are a number of reasons.....internal filter material, how it is constructed, heavier internal relief valve and spring ------ and this latter item is a big issue. In the Mahl/Mann filters, the relief valve spring and the design of the valve itself does a better job of keeping the oil pressure up in the engine oil galleries after the engine is shut down. This helps prevent the lifters from going flat and inducing the infamous "Vanagon clattering lifter" syndrome. If you have not experienced it yet, you will. It is inevitable ...... and it will scare the hell out of you. You will swear you have dropped a valve or something. Never fear. No damage done. Run the vehicle up the road for half hour and the offending lifter will pump back up and will be just fine. Brand new lifters do this on these engines. Just undeerstand and appreciate the engines idiosyncracies and you will have few problems to crop up.

Blue coolant, orange coolant (GM's DEXCOOL) are both fine. Don't know about the blue stuff, but it is most likely like the orange stuff in mixing, which gets mixed 50:50. I have used the orange stuff for years, and I change it every two years. Also, when I put in the new stuff, I add a bottle of Redline water wetter. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt.

Other List Members who are Westy owners can help you with the specific Westy questions.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver