Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:13:13 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Ying & Yang

Hey, there's more to life than Vanagons! It's unfortunate that someone was stupid enough to post that here.

But since there are always two sides to every story, it is only fair that I post a link to my brief letter to Mr. Okrent at the NYT. I will not be posting anything else and ask that no one bother sending me hate mail. I'll never get to read it and have gotten so much already i'm immune to it!

http://www.syncro.org/Okrent_Open_Letter.html

Also, Okrent only quoted one sentence out of my e-mail. This grossly distorted what I said.

The rest of the e-mail, the 99% that they did not quote, elicited a response from Nagourney stating that he would check with the editors to determine whether a correction was warranted. It was legitimate criticism of the reporting at issue. Nagourney would not have written back the way he did if that were not the case. The only reason I can come up with for Okrent going so far over the top himself is is that Nagourney thinks I am behind the http://www.adamnagourney.com/ website. And Somerby recently wrote a scathing piece on Okrent. http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh091304.shtml Nagourney has also been caught in recent months making a string or errors that brought swift responses from the blogs. It appears that they were both looking for a way to strike back at the bloggers. I just happened to be an easy target with my angry statement in the e-mail. And they went for it with a vengeance. But they have probably inflicted as much or more damage upon themselves as they did upon me. ________________________

"In closing, let’s note the part of this piece that has come to define Okrent’s work for the Times. That is the open tone of derision he takes toward readers who bother him with their e-mails. As usual, Okrent takes sidelong shots at these “irate readers” and their reasons for disputing his judgments (see below). Okrent began displaying this tone in his fourth column (1/18/04), and the tone has been present from that day to this. By the way: Was there something he might have learned from the “hundreds of messages” he received about the Swift Vets? There is, of course, no way to know—Okrent brags that he has ignored them! Indeed, he hasn’t even read “every word” of the coverage in the Times! Nobody does that, he says. "Dickens invented characters like Okrent, as he strove to describe a world in which idle, privileged, insolent people felt unvarnished contempt for their social inferiors. Okrent strolls straight outta those novels. But make no mistake—powdered people like Daniel Okrent are now in control of American discourse. Lazy, pampered, self-indulgent and stupid, they’ve made a sick joke of your interests for years. At some point, the public will have to find ways to end their control of our discourse." "http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh091304.shtml