Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:49:52 -0400
From:         Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil, oil filter & winter storage
Comments: To: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>

Pascal,

Here is my practice from when I was in the Navy and had to store vehicles for 6 months or longer due to deployments:

1) You need to change the oil after storage due to condensation (water) build up. Change the filter too, since taking it off to drain it means I was halfway there anyway - and filters are cheap!

2) Use standard petroleum oil for storage, there really isn't any benefit to using synthetic for storage.

3) Don't forget to put fuel stabilizer in the gas, and run the vehicle long enough that the stabilized gas gets into the injectors. I get the stabilizer, pour it in the gas tank and drive to get a tank of gas, to help with the "mixing" process. Then I change the (now warm) oil.

4) Pull the battery, place it somewhere warm (off of the concrete!) and put it on a trickle charger. Every couple of months, discharge the battery to ~10 volts and recharge, if you can. This helps prevent the battery from acquiring a "memory" - and discharging quickly from then on.

5) Air up the tires to the maximum cold pressure on the sidewalls, and periodically check the pressure. Don't forget to set the pressure to the correct running pressure before driving it out of storage! It's even better to raise the vehicle so that the tires are off of the ground, but that's a little extreme for most of us! This helps prevent flat spots on the tires.

HTH, Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wed 20 October 2004 13:52 Subject: oil, oil filter & winter storage