Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:51:09 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: AMC Heads (My views)
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@mchsi.com>

I called Marnal today and spoke with the salesman there. This is the supplier that my heads come from before they trickle down to all of the big wholesalers. They confirmed that they do get the AMC heads bare into their warehouse and then install the valves, springs, etc. He said that they use an Italian valve made by a company called Ivam. You can check out their website at the link below. http://www.paginegialle.it/ivam

He said about eight years ago they had problems with valves but they have since changed suppliers for the valves. He said that they sold around 1000 of the waterboxer cylinder heads last year in the US and had no major issues with the valves.

All of this info took me one phone call and about 5 mins to get. Just FYI.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

-----Original Message----- From: Al and Sue Brase [mailto:albeeee@mchsi.com] Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 12:15 PM To: Kenneth Wilford Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: AMC Heads (My views)

So, does anybody know what brands of valves are out there and what are in these heads. I think OE in older type 2's came from 2 main suppliers:

Ate (TRW ?) and Eaton Livonia. In my experience the Ate's were the best. I think 2.1's have sodium cooled stems, but I've never investigated. Most of these had the name and part number stamped on the stem near the keeper locks. I think I'd rather have the old Ate's than the new third world ones. Are

Spain and Italy in this category? Some Italian valves are pretty good. I'd defer to others who have more empircal data. BOB? Al Brase