Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:03:44 +0930
From:         Bob Bolton <bobbol@ADAM.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: Dual Battery Switch

Hi there. I use a rotary marine switch, mounted under the driver's seat just forward of one battery. (The other battery is under the passenger seat).It's about 5" diameter and 2 inches high, and these things are very solid. It has 4 positions: "Off", "1", "Both", "2". A lever has to be depressed to move it from any position, which I find a good safety feature.

I have to slide the seat forward to adjust the switch, and have often thought of having it remounted where I don't have to do that, but otherwise, I like it - it gives me a lot of control. Normally, I run the van with 'Both' selected, to charge both batteries, and use alternate batteries each night, so that each is getting the same kind of treatment. Also, if one battery died, or had to be lent to another vehicle, I could select the other for starting and driving, without fiddling about shifting things.

There's just one important trick with these switches, that I remember from when I had them in boats: NEVER switch them past "Off" with the engine running. Apparently this could blow the diodes in your alternator in a boat, so I presume it could do something similar in a car.

My procedure is:

.Stop for the night .Switch to "1" or "2" .In the morning, switch to the other battery for starting ("2" or "1") if you've had a big current drain during the night. .When the engine's running, switch to "Both" - BUT NOT BY GOING PAST "OFF"!

I leave the van stored for long periods when I am out of the country, and it's easier to just switch to "Off" to isolate both batteries, than playing around with spanners. Also means that I am asking a bit less of friends or relatives to start the motor and run the van up and down the drive, every now and then. Also, if I want to work on wiring or something, it's an easier disconnect.

An auto electrician told me this is old technology, and wanted to replace it all with a relay. But I like things simple, that I can easily see - and I like the options and control this gives me.

Bob Bolton Adelaide South Australia 84 Sopru Conversion Transporter Campervan

----------------------------------------------- This message sent through Adam Internet Webmail http://www.adam.com.au