Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:53:02 -0400
From:         tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: camper heating
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

I like your ideas of adding heat and heated water to the vanagon for a shower.

I have been working on using an old rear vanagon heater core as a hot water heater. My initial test was to just fill the core with water and blow hot air through it with my heat gun. I did find that it heated the water up in the core very quickly and easily from cold tap water to hot water in about 30 sec of warm air on the core.

It looks like one could use a radiator / heater core to heat water with a warm air source like a heater which is where I was headed.

I am thinking of venting the heated outlet air from a propex type of heater to the core and cycling water through over and over to a tank , perhaps the main tank.

Zodi makes a really cool hot water / shower set up that is very effective and small , you could use for showering or hot water.

You can find there stuff at <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.zodi.com">www.zodi.com</a>

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Stevens" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:dosteven@SYR.EDU">&lt;dosteven@SYR.EDU&gt;</a> To: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM">&lt;vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&gt;</a> Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 10:33 AM Subject: camper heating

one item I've been considering for vehicle preheating and while camping where electric is available is a Kitchen Toe kick Electric Space heater. it should fit nicely in the base of my cabinet. or possibly a thin raised section between the front seats.

I've seen a van with a tank (where your large battery is atm) and had 3/8" copper coolant lines run thru it.

also a small heat exchanger for baseboard hot water systems like this would be pretty efficient